PLEASE KEEP IN MIND...

WELCOME! This blog represents some of the activities or interactions with our amazing ARIZONA PHOENIX RETURNED MISSIONARIES 2011-2014 and some of our current family activities! Thank you, The Taylors

Sunday, March 30, 2014

OUR MISSION QUILT

 A day has come in the mission that I have both been excited for and dreaded...the day that I could say that our mission quilt is now complete...

Before we came to Phoenix 3 years ago, I had the idea to make a quilt that looked like the Phoenix Temple.  Each missionary that we served with would have a square of their own.  I drew it out on graph paper, figured about how many missionaries we thought we may have, and went to look for fabrics to complete the design.  I came to Phoenix armed with fabric squares and gold and silver fabric markers.
The very first zone we visited was Phoenix Zone...all 33 missionaries in that zone at the time made their square...we did this with all 10 zones existing at the time.  This completed the base of the temple at that point.
Since that time, each time we have had new missionaries come to Phoenix, we give them a fabric square and had them write their name and whatever they wanted to put.  Each time I had 27 squares for that row in the pattern, I would sew the row together and add it onto the top of the quilt.  It seemed like slow going at first.

Here is Elder Quincy Wilson pointing to his square.  It is quite a way down the quilt, meaning he has been here a while.

Last year when he was a newer missionary, I visited his apartment in Prescott to do an inspection and saw a beautiful quilt on his bed.  I asked about it and he told me that his Mom was a quilter.  I wondered if she would help me finish our quilt and asked him to check with her.
Sister Wilson said she would be delighted to help.
So, in February after transfers, I sewed on the remaining two rows of this quilt(I think I have plenty of blank square for our remaining missionaries to come before we head home), packaged the quilt top and the fabric I had for the border and backing and mailed it to Idaho to the talented hands of Sister Wilson.  She is one of the angels of our mission experience.  I knew I would have no way to complete the quilt while we were here, and once we get home, we will hit the ground running and I would be hard pressed to get it done for an October Mission Reunion.


You can see how important this quilt is to our missionaries...I caught this group in the hall just looking for their squares and looking to see who they know.

The Phoenix Temple broke ground a month before we arrived in Phoenix June of 2011.  This quilt grew as the temple grew until they will be completed and displayed about the same time as we celebrate the dedication this fall, and as we take this quilt to our first Mission Reunion in October 2014.

Each square is a memory of a beloved mission son or daughter.  Many of them have interesting or special stories we could tell you.

When you come to see us either in AZ or in UT, we will show you the quilt and you can look to see who you know that is on it.
Kurtus Beck had to get down on floor level to see his square on the bottom row of the quilt...he was in the first zone we visited when we arrived!

THANK YOU SISTER WILSON!  We love that you are now a part of our quilt.  When we meet you in person, we want you to sign it!

 Another view...
And close up of my embroidered Moroni!

No comments: